April 1: Only one will blossom

So, I’ve come up with a couple of designs for April, but I can’t decide the final design.

The ‘spring’ ukulele

photo 1

The spring uke will have a flower bed on top, I’ll be growing either flowers or herbs for use in the kitchen. There’s a forest painted on the side, if that wasn’t obvious (which it probably wasn’t.)

The ‘bonsai’ ukulele

photo 2

Has a bonsai growing out of it. Enough said.

If you want to help me decide, please leave a comment here, or at my post on reddit.

Advertisements

March 4: The ‘wanderer’ ukulele

March’s namesake is ‘wanderer.’ I tried to capture the feeling of wandering with this uke, hence, that’s why it is fretless.

DSCF7296

I also added a nice surprise to help players, inspired by the Tolkien quote ‘not all who wander are lost.’

DSCF7298

It needs a quick charge though…

DSCF7305

Please click the image. You can see the fret markers as well, then.

My camera cannot capture its beauty, nor can it do it justice, but the fret markers and sound hole are glow in the dark. I had some thermoplastic left from my prop making days, so I mixed in some glow in the dark pigment. The result is very pleasing, I wish you could see it.

DSCF7306

And here it is, the 4th uke with the rest, and we’re quarter of the way there. April’s uke will be a while, I’ll be working on it during Easter holiday (assuming I’m not dead from work before that…)

March 3: Not all who wander are lost

It’s done! Spent about 4 hours today finishing it off. I had some time off today, I decided I wouldn’t work this Saturday, seeing as I’ve worked the last few Saturdays with marking and whatnot.

DSCF7290 DSCF7291

Woke up early and decided to glue the front panel on. I did the neck next and before I knew it, I made a fret board and bridge.

DSCF7292 DSCF7293

As you can see, it is fretless.

DSCF7294

Here it is putting its dress on. I went with one layer of black wood stain and another with vanish/black stain. The wood grain is really good, which is why I normally go with wood stain.

March 2: An unfinished uke is basically a box

With so much marking this weekend, I decided to run away to the garage. I finished the majority of the body today.

DSCF7281

I did the headstock and neck last week, set to work on the body. After an hour, I ended up with the sides finished.

DSCF7282 DSCF7283

I used plywood for the front and back as I couldn’t find any sheets of pine wood. I also rounded off two corners as in the design posted earlier. Below, you can see I added a piezo transducer to make it electric as well. Piezos don’t pick up bass so well, but it’s better than nothing.

DSCF7286

Stopped myself from finishing it off, I have a lot to do. It’s completely strange that I only have a few hours to myself every week to relax. I’ve been doing college work every possible hour, and I’m up for 18 hours a day. Times like these I wonder why anyone would become a teacher. We all love to teach, but it’s like loving cats, and all you get to do is change litter boxes. Ok, it’s not that bad, but yeah. I’m still young, but I can see that after a few years of teaching, I’m going to lose my passion for it. Especially since I can’t cope well with students leaving.

Well, enough of my rant, you might be able to see March’s namesake in some of the photos. More on that next week though, hopefully it’ll be done then.