December 1: The end approaches

So I thought I would end the project on time, so work has begun on the last uke for the uke-a-month project. I can’t believe it’s nearly been a year, but it was fun making these ukes. Here is a tease on the last uke.


So a lot of thought went into making these ukes, and I wasn’t sure what to do afterwards. Would I continue making ukes? I think I will. Will it be every month? Probably not. But I can say one thing for sure, I really love ukes, and so long as that’s true, I will keep making them. Here is a little tease on the next ukulele I will be making :) The end really is approaching!

bill copy

November: my uke

It is November, and perhaps maybe more importantly, the month I came into being. I’ve never celebrated my birthday really, I don’t particularly get the idea of fussing over the anniversary of your birth, but I thought I should at least dedicate this month’s uke to myself.

I love cartoons. I really love animation, and I think we’re in a golden age of cartoons at the moment. I have absolutely fallen in love with these shows, and if you don’t recognise them, I have to ask you to leave right now, go to youtube and search any of the following: steven universe; adventure time; gravity falls; and/or over the garden wall.

Anyway, I think cartoons are a big part of my life, so here is November’s uke. It has no namesake, but if it did I would probably call it the ‘coo’ uke :)

IMG_0468 IMG_0469 IMG_0470 IMG_0472 IMG_0474 IMG_0475 IMG_0476 

This was the last solid wood uke I built. So in a sense this was the last ‘traditional’ build. I took everything I learnt about working with wood, and put it into this uke.

Ok, so I cheated a little. I actually made this in the summer. I had my reasons. I’ve given this uke away already to the person I look up to and call a hero, so it’s with them now. In order to get it to them in time, I had to cheat. I think this uke was always meant to be given to them anyway. They will porbably love it more than me, and I think it suits them more, seeing as they are super ‘coo.’ There is a sneaky thank you inside the body as well, if you’re reading this!

And to finish everything off nicely, here it is again, a time-lapsed video of it being built:

Only one more uke now until this uke-a-month project is done!!! I am putting everything I’ve learnt into this one. The November uke will always be my best, so maybe this 13th one will be the 2nd best?

October 3: The ‘autumn’ ukulele

So here is October’s ukulele. It’s namesake is ‘Autumn.’


It was going to be called the ‘Rustling’ ukulele but I could not get it to rustle when you strum. So went with autumn instead.

IMG_0850 IMG_0849 IMG_0848 IMG_0847

Nothing unusual here. It is just a straight up normal uke, albeit having a low g string, a concert size, and thin bodied.

Here’s a video:

November and December left now. Almost there!


October 2: sad-dle

Well, I wanted to finish this today, but I actually found out that I didn’t have a saddle (hence the pun in the title) 

Anyway, it needs a saddle and some string and then it’ll be done. Just don’t know when my saddle is coming!

Side project 8: Ocalele of Time

So, been meaning to make this for a while. Wasn’t sure whether to do the shield or this, but I guess I ended up making this one. Here is an ukulele based on the ocarina of time. If you don’t know what that is, I think you should reconsider whether you’ve been living your life well enough up to this point.

IMG_0796  IMG_0795

So, the whole thing was pretty much up to scratch when I finished at the laser cutter at Nottinghack. There’s a lot of rough work needed, but it hasn’t changed much from what you see above. Below is after the first sanding with 45 grit? I don’t know, but it was nice and easy as it was rounded with no edges.


The paint job took a whole day. This is the only part of the build process I haven’t managed to shorten. I decided not to rush it like usual, so the paint and varnish had a whole day to itself to sort itself out. Turned out to settle a lot nicer than my other ukes. Don’t rush a good thing, right?

IMG_0801 IMG_0802 IMG_0800

And what a nice thing it turned out to be! I was worried because my varnish started spitting from the spray can, but it smoothed out nicely. The first photo below is day time, and I was just testing the tuners. The others are at night, and the blue looks darker than in real life.

IMG_0804 IMG_0805 IMG_0806 IMG_0807 IMG_0808 IMG_0809 IMG_0810 IMG_0811 IMG_0812

I am sure you’re all expecting a video of me playing zelda songs on this, so here it is:

September 4: the ‘black hole’ ukulele

September’s uke is done, if a little late. Spent 3 days waiting for some aquila lava string only to get impatient and put Worth brown string on.

September’s namesake is ‘black hole’ and it represents that dark feeling you have. Be it depression, a bad day, or realising you’re not loved, the black hole ukulele is meant to symbolise that. It literally sucks everything in and lets nothing escape.

IMG_0747 IMG_0746 IMG_0750 IMG_0749 IMG_0748

Like real black holes, at the centre is a star (or a hole of a star.) This has its own meaning as well. No matter how dark things get, there’s always a glimmer of hope there. The star on the uke (or lack of) is the single hope I have. A single star I have to wish upon.

IMG_0752 IMG_0751

Here’s a video of the damn thing!

september 3: A stringless star

Just a few days over, but here it is (pretty much)


It is still missing strings. I am waiting on some aquila lava strings. I haven’t used them before, so I am looking forward to it.

The namesake is not written on this uke, nor is my ‘signature.’ So this is a bt of a strange one with regards to the uke a month project.